Sunday 19 June 2016

What my father is..

For all the years past, the present moments and the ones to come, I thank the one constant man who has proven, love is unconditional.  

From a young age, he wanted to be part of my life.  Standing beside me, even when he wasn't with me.  Knowing now, I was never far from his thoughts.  As a young teen, he was around more often, showing me how to be a strong young woman.  From cooking, saving a dime, showing me the value of spending time together, the power of a hug, a kind word, strength in silence, how to change the oil in my car and replacing a flat tire.  To be silly and laugh, to listen and respond, how to hear music and to sing with my heart.  To love completely and most importantly, to let go. 

My father, can say "I love you" with a single glance, not a word exchanged.  Although, I'll tell him each time I see him while we hug, I don't let go until I hear him say the words back.  

He watched me try to emulate him, proudly the words of encouragement would come from time to time, when needed and he knows when those moments are needed.  


For the things he didn't do..

He didn't show me disrespect, discourage or put me down, he didn't make me feel small. Dad didn't say yes to all the things I wanted but gave me what I needed.  He didn't break my heart or discount my worries.  


To all the fathers who spend countless hours worrying about their children.  Wanting only the best and letting their young ones find the courage to fall and get back up.  For bringing up a child or children to think forward, not backwards.  For each of you that helps build and teach your children to think on their own, to believe in themselves and promise a better tomorrow.  


Happy Father's day to each person who takes on the role of a parent.  

No comments: