Tuesday 28 June 2016

Blind faith without regrets

I would love to tell you that I knew what I was doing when "signing up" to parent.  It is correct to say, that I've read a lot of parenting books and learnt how to become more understanding, compassionate and open minded in the process.  

Not one person can tell you exactly how to parent your child or even how to help one do the daunting task of helping grow this amazing human being into something with the ability to be amazing.

I'm not talking about a garden, although it isn't a bad idea to teach them how both physically and metaphorically, you reap, you sow.  Lesson #1  Both for the parent and for the child.  Until we actually accept the simple fact our children will be a product of their environment.  I started to see this with Michael, my first son.  It's never intentional, how we start off as parents, this is just my personal opinion.  How can we know what to do and of course, when.  The keys are to open your eyes to their responses.  Sometimes, not a choice but we will see it.  

Yell at a child, they will not learn patience or more importantly, how to listen.  It starts off rough, somedays, truthfully you may want to throw in the towel, thinking.. what have I done? Then, out of the blue something amazing happens.  Something you did awhile ago, gave them the key to do what you needed to see.  A bright light, a spark, fueled by what you did. Those are the priceless moments you won't soon forget. 

This past weekend, my youngest, Arthur joined me in helping out at an event.  I watched him not only laugh in the moment while pitching in with his ability to speak confidently, listen and provide what was needed.  While I've found passion in giving back, not only for others but for the sake of mind, I've found the example given has been priceless.  


If I leave this world today, I won't leave with regrets.  I know that both my children, the biggest investment in life to date have the ability to not only participate in life but give back before asking for anything.  To put in without expectations of returns.  Life isn't about what you get from it, life is about what you give.  

Parenting with blind faith has been a major key to the success of their's.  I do what I know is right, which is fueling a spark that is deep within both my kids.  







No comments: