Wednesday 15 June 2016

Every day heros

I wonder what was going through his mind when they passed by.

While at the gym connected to our local foot ball stadium, I was putting away the equipment I had used, I looked to my left, towards the window.  Seeing a young boy alone, on his bike heading to the bike rack.  He propped it up and quickly tore off his helmut.  He stood in a spot for a moment until his feet and hands couldn't be still any longer.

A few football players came out of a door, in conversation, the young boy's body language spoke volumes without making a sound.  The players walked past him, unaware of his presence.  With 5 strides ahead in their walk, the young boy started to walk up to them, following.  Just before he reached them, he stopped and turned back.   

Another few came out, again unaware of this young boy full of energy and wanting to approach the next group.  They stopped, discussed something between themselves and proceeded.  10 steps ahead, this time the boy, almost running into them from behind.  He stopped just before he reached them.  Again, the group didn't notice.  He turned on his heals, the body language clear.  Arms and head hung down, feet slowing as he walked back towards his bike.


Watching this, every time he made an attempt to run up to the players, I cheered inside.  Every time he stopped, my heart saddened.  


Then it happened.  


This young boy, took off one last time running towards someone.  He ran into a man's arms.  They embraced for a moment and then was placed down by his bike.  It appeared they chatted for a moment before walking into the same building I was in.  My heart melted.   


What frustrates me is that I see this every day.  People, unaware of their surroundings.  I am confused by how much some are consumed by distractions, not actually living life.  If you just take a moment to look up and use your eyes, listen with your ears and feel with your heart.  You'll see some amazing things happen.


The best part is there was someone happy to see him and I'll bet he will be this young boys hero for years to come.  

No comments: