Saturday 16 January 2016

Seeing another succeed

Great leaders are not ever born but developed over time with sweat and tears.  Some heart breaks and several ah-ha moments that bring you the deepest joy, the type that you never thought existed.  

I remember my first paying job.  I picked up on things quickly and became a bit "cocky" with how well I thought I was doing.  Then one day like a slap by a brick wall, I discovered that wasn't quite the truth.  Good lord, that hurt.  I remember it like yesterday.. 
"You know what assume means Nicole?  When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me." 
Oh boy.. that took me down about 10 notches.  I was 15 years old and it was the first tough lesson to learn.  I know I didn't take it in a productive way, blaming everyone else and not looking inside to try to improve.  

Well, during the path I've learnt these important lessons.

1. Never assume anything.  It truly does make an ass out of you and me! (ass-u-me)

2. Take any type of comments, the good or the bad and learn!  You will start to trust yourself when you learn to filter through the comments and actions of others.  

3. Don't forget your roots.  When you see someone struggling, offer an ear first.  Let them say what they need to but don't take that to heart.  Remember where you came from and if they ask, offer your experience.  

4. Show by example.  If you want to help others develop, you need to develop yourself first.  No one will want to be any less than you, ever.  We all have a strong desire to evolve into something we know we are here for, it's just how we get to the destination that matters.  



5. Never think you are above anyone else.  The person who works cleaning the bathroom may make less but their life may be happier.  Keep things simple and help everyone you can with their development.  Regardless if it's starting from how to get back on their feet to working in the same office as you.  The minute you shut them out is the minute they start giving up.  Would you rather have a co-worker that gives up or a co-worker that cheers others on too?







No comments: