Tuesday 18 March 2014

The honesty of a child

Yesterday I had the opportunity to hear a young man’s voice.  This person was excited to share with me and another adult how they wanted to take specific courses in the next school year.  One being Cosmetology.  While I sat there listening, the other adult started to become visibly upset.  

This young man left the room and without hesitation, the other adult started to share their feelings with me.  No thought or consequence to the child.
“How could they do this”? 
"That child MUST be influenced by others to want to do this there is no other way of explaining it”. 
I stood there with my mouth wide open, mind spinning and thinking... is this really happening?  
Wow.
Then the fire works started... 
I had to ask them; “Why would they take away a choice to a child"?  "Why would they care what that child wants to do or how”?  "Is there any danger that anyone will be put in"?   
They actually responded with “this will turn him gay”!
I couldn’t even think for that second... 
“turn him gay”?  
In the back of my head I could hear the bus coming to a screeching hault.  “ENOUGH”!
"Okay, doing something in life does NOT change someone’s sexual orientation.  First off, you are born loving whomever, unlike being an jerk that you simply become like you are right now".  
The words flew and I had to leave.  This other adult brought up some serious points.  They were concerned about this young person being picked on, stuffed into a locker as they put it.  Singled out by peers and not treated fairly.  Okay, I am starting to get it.  This other adult was reflecting their fears onto the young person.  I get that because I’ve done it.  What bothered me was that these comments about fear of bullying came after the fear of the adult being embarrassed.  I had to walk away.  

I then proceeded to discuss this issue on a public forum with other adults and not one mentioned the same points this adult did.  Not one, expressed fear of safety for this young man.  Not one mentioned how it may suggest anything other than simple curiosity.  

Regardless of the reason why someone chooses to do something, it’s simply that.  A choice.  Feed the mind and the rest will grow.  I say teach indifference, encourage compassion and lead the future.  I was quoted last night;
"Now for a split second you stop thinking about your position and start thinking about the others point of view. Ask yourself why do they think that way, even better what in their life caused them to have their perspective? If you are able to do this, you have compassion. "  
Perhaps last night, instead of becoming emotionally charged and put in the defencive, I should have simply listened to their thoughts and simply walked away.  I doubt my words, thoughts or actions can have an influence on someone's perspective....


No comments: