Wednesday 26 February 2014

Why do you wear pink today?


Today represents kindness and compassion.  It also represents a portion of people who have been privy to an act that has gone on for decades.  

This act is supported by apathy, anger, contempt, cruel, unkind emotions.  

It is Anti-bully day here and many people, schools & companies support this day.  Why?  We’ve been there either by being a survivor, a witness or for some the bully.  

There is no reason to step back any further, no excuse to think it’s okay to berate another person, instill fear or make them feel anything less than a wonderful, kind human being.  Be part of this wonderful movement and show everyone that it is okay to be who you are.  

I can recall my elementary days.  We moved lots and I was always an outsider.  For every school I attended, it became harder and harder to adjust and fit in.  No matter what I would say, it was never the right thing and when jealousy’s head came up from others, I was the flea bag, the stupid one.  Not ever worth the protection of teachers or school administrators.  I walked home after school on countless days being pushed, name called and kicked.  I would get home and run to my bedroom, crying and wondering why this was happening.  I wanted to be angry but inside I knew it wasn’t about me, it was about them.  They couldn’t accept change nor were they taught to.  

Today, I am no longer the flea bag, the outside girl.  I am who I am and I mostly care what I think about myself.  When I go to bed at night, the last thing I remember is thinking... today I had a great day, with good choices.  Today, I taught my children to accept things they cannot change, the courage to change  which should be changed and the wisdom to distinguish between the two.  

No comments: