Saturday 13 April 2013

Teaching the future

The rate of survival today for children, teens and young adults isn't posted.  We hear about what makes the news big.  How one makes it past the age of 20 is beyond me some days.  I watch the news and it hardens my heart.  Greed, anger, gluttony & so many other issues make it beyond personal struggles on a daily basis.  I have friends with struggling family members from all ranges of issues from emotional, financial or physical.  All which effects each of us on a personal level one time or another.  Government invests in what helps them get ahead, what is best for their ego or what makes the headlines.  I have yet to see the government invest in the future, our children.

I've said a few times how many siblings I have, what issues we dealt with and how we did.  Events each of our pasts have shaped us as people but to look back and reflect on how they did is another side.  Each day events change us, shape us and determine the course of direction our lives go.

I listened to 630 Ched the other day with Primo and Gross commenting about "legacy" and how many generations will remember who you were.  I believe it's our choice to determine how long we are remembered by.  Perhaps not as a person but perhaps by actions.

For example, do you know anything about Hitler other than he appeared to be rather insane?  About what he chose to do?  I don't.  Perhaps it's due to the fact that my education only went into the hard facts that effected others in such a large scale.

I believe we need to invest more than money into our future.  I've read somewhere that we get what we put in.  If I were to take more time to explain political science to my children would they have the drive to go in that direction?  What about finance?  Would that teach them more on how to be financial savy?  Of course it would!  Our children feed on attention.  I enjoy the moments alone where I discuss both issues.  I want my son's to be aware and know what they need to know.  I want them to develop back bones and to know how to say "NO" and how to accept an apology.

I try my best to feed my son's the hunger they have to learn.  Regardless if it's from planting a vegetable garden to minding their finances.  I am helping them build their future and their successes, I am investing in their future.  My question to you, are you investing in someone else's future without spending a dime?  It actually might save their lives and the lives of others.  You never know where one starts but you may always know where one ends.

No comments: