Saturday 27 April 2013

How to raise my children - Part 1

I suppose that when I was given the choice to have my first child I didn't think about what I did and how it would affect them.  I was just going to give it my best shot.  After the first couple of months with Michael I started seeing this life as it's own and not mine to live through but one to help mold and shape with my hands.  Birth is one thing, child raising is something completely different.  More importantly, it can shape us as people as well.  

I figured, why not try at this?  What not give it my best?  After all, I had no idea if I was going to be given a second chance.  Don't get me wrong, being a parent is one of the hardest things if not the hardest things you'll do as a human.  


Like any parent, I didn't want to make the same mistakes mine did.  I wanted to improve, I wanted to treat this like a mini classroom.  Day by day, I would take advantage of situations and use them.  I remember wanting to dislike his father for not giving him the love and attention he so deserved.  I took that and taught him never to keep your anger towards someone and keep in deep within your heart.  I let him know that when you do, that other person controls you.  When he was given an apology, I taught him to truly accept it.  It couldn't be "oh, that's okay" or "don't worry about it".  He had to learn to say "thank you".  Something I needed to learn.


When he was faced with adversity in school amongst his peers, I taught him to know that it's okay to be who you are, not everyone will accept you.  You have to be okay with yourself and that's all that matters.  There is no other "you".


When it came to treating others, that came naturally.  Michael is kind, thoughtful and when he finds his desire a very hard working person.  He has learned to laugh with people who care enough for him.  He's developed into his own person with some guidance from myself and luckily a few other good people around.  


When he was given the opportunity to grow in a job as a young man, we pushed him.  He started in one which wasn't suited then another which we saw him change.  I suppose I taught him, any job no matter what is a job of importance.  It gives us more worth that we know but it teaches us all what we are made of.  

No comments: